Tourism: 7 Day ARCAS EcoTour Package
- Arrival at Aurora International Airport, Guatemala City.
- Transfer to colonial capital of Antigua.
- Travel to Peten by airplane (6:00am) and to ARCAS Rescue Center.
- Presentation by ARCAS staff on the problems of the illegal pet trade and difficulties of rehabilitation and release.
- Hands-on participation in care and feeding of the animals.
- Visit to ARCAS Endangered Species Interpretive Center, quarantine and rehabilitation areas.
- Accommodation at Rescue Center.
- Transfer to Tikal National Park with a stop-off at eco-tourism and handicraft projects being carried out with the communities of El Remate.
- Accommodation at Jungle Lodge.
- Visit to Tikal Museum and short afternoon tour of ruins.
- Pre-dawn tour with trained nature guide of Tikal ruins, focussing on wildlife viewing.
- Mid-day siesta.
- During the afternoon, visit to hunting and chicle-gathering community of Uaxactun with a presentation on sustainable rainforest extractive industries.
- (Optional: Overnight stay at community eco-tour camping area.)
- Visit to Yaxha, a major Mayan site with a large temple bordering a large lake and site of the largest watershed in the Mayan Biosphere Reserve.
- In the afternoon, return to Flores and flight to Guatemala City and transfer to Antigua.
- Visit to ARCAS office. Presentation on environmental and social problems facing Guatemala, problem of endangered species trade.
- Optional activities: Participation in environmental education activity, Visit to Cerro Alux Cloud Forest Reserve, Climb Pacaya volcano, an active volcano one hour away. (Depends on the state of eruption of the volcano).
- Sightseeing and shopping in Antigua. Optional: guided tour of organic coffee plantations.