ARCAS Biology Internship Placement
- Currently studying or have studied in biology or a biology related field
- Animal experience (preferably at least 1 year accumulated experience with tropical animals, such as zoo keeping or long term volunteer animal experience. Also accepted: animal shelter work, farm work, stables)
- Experience working in a team
- Experience working as a leader
- Over 20 years old
- Medium to fluent level in both English and Spanish
- In good mental and physical health (must be able to lift 20kg)
- Valid passport
- Driver’s license preferred but not requirement
- No criminal record
- 6 month internship
- Assist in animal behavior studies (species dependent, with focus on primates and psittacines)
- Enrichment projects
- If required, assist with young animal care
- Take part in on-site animal releases
- Daily animal husbandry
- Assist volunteer coordinator in day to day management of volunteers and volunteer tasks
- Various administration/office work (social media, data entry etc.)
- This is an unpaid position
- Valuable experience in animal behavior, observation and analysis.
- Work alongside Amazon parrots, Scarlet Macaws, Spider Monkeys, Black Howler Monkeys, Crocodiles, Turtles, Toucans, Coatis and many more.
- Be part of new research projects revolving around the rehabilitation of different species back into the wild.
- Meet people of all ages and backgrounds, from around the world.
- Gain problem solving skills in different environments.
- The chance to teach the importance of conservation and make a difference in people’s lives and experiences.
- To be part of a close-knit team, all working at the front line of animal rehabilitation and combating the illegal wildlife trade.