Tourism: 10 Day ARCAS EcoTour
- Transfer to Hawaii National Park, site of ARCAS’s community-based sea turtle and crocodile conservation project on the south coast of Guatemala.
- Guided eco-tour of mangrove forests surrounding Hawaii Park.
- Depending on season, night-time patrol in search of nesting Olive Ridley and Leatherback sea turtles, collection of sea turtle eggs and burial in hatchery.
- Presentation on sea turtle biology and conservation.
- Visit to village of Hawaii and to area schools and, depending on season, participation in environmental educational activities.
- Presentations on local artesian crafts and industries such as palm collection, shrimp fishing and sesame farming.
- Visit to Lake Atitlan and tour of Mayan villages on this “the most beautiful lake in the world” (Aldous Huxley).
- Visits to environmental projects and hand-woven textile cooperatives.
- Sightseeing and shopping in Antigua.
- Guided eco-tour of organic coffee plantations.
A portion of the profits from these eco-tours will go to support ARCAS’s conservation as well as to the various community-based conservation and development associations working with ARCAS.
Please also note that this itinerary is just an example and can be adapted to your needs and interests.